Finding a counsellor

A lot of bereaved people find that it is important to feel safe to speak about their loss freely and without fear of judgement. Sometimes a helpful way to do this can be to see a health professional. You may choose to see a counsellor in addition to talking with a trusted friend or someone else who has also experienced suicide grief.

There is no right or wrong way to get support.

Different methods work for different people in different situations. If you find that one avenue is not giving you what you need, try something or someone else.

As suicide grief is a different and more complex form of grief, it can be beneficial to find someone who has specific experience in this area.

Talk to your GP

Your regular GP may be able to help you directly or refer you to another health professional. You may find it easier to speak with a GP who knows you and your history however some may find that they prefer not to speak with their regular GP for the same reasons.

If you can,  keep in touch with a trusted GP to ensure that your health is taken care of. Grieving can be very physically taxing and at times so consuming that it can be hard to remember to take care of yourself the way you had in the past.

Find a registered psychologist close by

Travel can be challenging when you are feeling distressed. Where possible, try to find someone who is easy for you to travel to. The Australian Psychological Society’s Find a Psychologist service may help you find a psychologist to suit your needs. Referrals are drawn from their database of more than 2,600 APS registered psychologists around Australia, covering every state and territory.

Visit a walk in service

Headspace offer a walk in service for those aged 12-25. They generally have psychologists, social workers and other health professionals available on site. More centres are being opened across Australia this year. Their website also has a service locator.

Contact a telephone support service

Kids helpline offer a freecall telephone support service for children aged 5-25. They can also provide advice to adults on supporting children.

Other support services are listed on our immediate help page.