Building Hope Together
The Journey After Suicide
The 6th Australian Postvention Conference
13 – 15 June 2019 | Sydney Masonic Centre
The 2019 Conference focuses on building hope together through the three main conference themes – encouraging resilience, incorporating lived experience and facilitating collaboration between stakeholders. The conference encourages the sharing and discussion of ideas, stories and research to bring positive outcomes for the postvention sector. This conference brings together those bereaved by suicide, trauma victims and survivors, Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islanders, defence force services, emergency services and individuals/organisations working the field of suicide bereavement, trauma and loss.
The three-day conference commences with half-day and full-day pre-conference workshops on Thursday 13 June.
These workshops are followed by two days of plenaries, workshops and presentations from International and Australian presenters. We are privileged to have international guests and invited Australian speakers who are well known in Australia and internationally for their research and expertise in trauma and bereavement.
International presenters include:
- Dr Julie Cerel (President, American Association of Suicidology)
- Ken Norton (NAMI NH, Connect Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention Program)
- Sharon McDonnell (Suicide Bereavement UK)
Australian presenters include:
- Prof. Pat Dudgeon (Deputy Chair, Australian Indigenous Psychologist’s Association, Chair, National Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander Leaders Mental Health, Co-Chair, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Advisory Group, Director, National Empowerment Project, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Suicide Prevention Evaluation Project and the UWA Centre of Best Practice in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Suicide Prevention (CBPATSISP))
- Prof. Myfanwy Maple (Professor of Social Work, and Chair of Research, School of Health, University of New England)
- Adele Cox (Project Director, National Indigenous Critical Response Project, Chief Executive, Thirrili Ltd)
- Nikki Jamieson (Military focus, Suicide Prevention in Health Services, Queensland Health, MSuicidology)
The conference concludes with a special Healing and Remembrance Service. The Healing and Remembrance service provides an opportunity for individuals, families and friends to come together to share and be supported in their grief as we honour and remember their loved one.
Sponsorship & Exhibition
My Story – A Lived Experience
Who should attend?
This conference is primarily for the bereaved by suicide and for those working with/supporting the bereaved. This conference will bring together family and friends who have been bereaved by suicide, the Indigenous, teachers, youth workers, social workers, mental health professionals, general practitioners and medical personnel, clergy, emergency services personnel, researches, service providers and funeral service personnel.
There will be limited bursaries available for the bereaved by suicide and/or support group facilitators who would otherwise be unable to attend.
- To provide a voice for those bereaved by suicide through creative expression and integrating the stories of those bereaved by suicide across Australia
- To reach out and support with Hope and Healing, military and emergency services personnel suffering intense emotional trauma, shock, grief and physical and mental ill health
- To provide support, information and opportunities for networking and collaboration between bereavement researchers, educators, policy writers, service providers, funeral directors, Indigenous communities, emergency services, military personnel, and those bereaved by suicide
- To contribute to an evidence base through the exchange of research and practice knowledge
- To raise the prominence of suicide bereavement issues nationally
- To highlight the range of Australian bereavement services and promote an integrated and cohesive approach to the needs of bereaved people, Indigenous communities, military and emergency service personnel at a local, state, national and international level
For further information
Visit the Conference Website: www.buildinghopetogether.com.au
Contact Alan Staines (National Secretary) by mobile 0412 164 575 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Isabella Mee (Conference Manager) by email email@example.com or phone 02 4267 2225